Sunday, September 22, 2019

Nagoya climate Demo

Impressions from the Nagoya climate strike demonstration (20/9/2019)

 The Nagoya climate strike, wasn't a strike at all. It was a small size demonstration, which saw a few people protesting.
The slogan was: "気候が危ない。今すぐ変えろう。
子供の未来。Climate justice. When do we want it? Now!" The first Japanese part has the following meaning: "The climate is in danger. We have to change something. Future for the children."
This language mix is quite characteristic for the international atmosphere of the demonstration in Nagoya. Looking at the signs, the language mix is also obvious. Why are so few Japanese nationals joining the demonstration? Because the mainstream media in Japan don't cover the international protests only as marginalia. I also saw in Internet (350.org)       

The atmosphere was very relaxed and I also met some colleagues at the demonstration. There were a lot of English speaking persons there and the use of English (as Lingua franca) was quite widespread.
Thank to police, we had smooth walk for 90 minutes. Unfortunately the policemen declined to be photographed. 

Another expat I met the first time at the demonstration. We were speaking about the situation of environment protest in different countries. It would be very unusual to have such a conversation with a Japanese person. We were talking about the group extinction rebellion (Wp) and there sometimes very radical stance towards mainstream politics.    
One of the bilingual signs, which could be seen at the demonstration. I talked with the carrier of the sign about the usage of coal in Japan. I had to ask to the reading of the word (in Japanese), although I can understand the meaning, I often forget you to pronounce the word. I think my Japanese is good, especially for every day purpose, but when it comes to Politics, I have to prepare myself, otherwise even simple words don't recur as it they could be. Also in English my active vocabulary is smaller than of a native speaker, but I can discuss politics good enough to hold a normal conversation.      

No comments:

Post a Comment